Saturday, March 24, 2012

The wait is over....

I have been hunting for night stands for at least 2 years.  It's not like I was looking for anything extremely special.  No specific style or size requirements, just two matching tables that were well built, had storage and were affordable.  They didn't even have to be vintage, I was looking everywhere I even started to shop for new ones. 
After 2 years I had just about given up.

Then one day me and my mom were out shopping at a thrift store.  We were not looking for anyting in particular just wanted to see what was new or old.  We were on our way out of the store, the trip was unsuccessful and it was a dreadful day weather wise, so we wanted to get home.  That's when I spotted them, two matching night stands.  





They were sitting over by the "employee's only" door, they must have just come in.  I ran over to take a look at them.  They looked like they were in pretty good condition.  Nice style, good size, well built, some storage, they were perfect!  My wait was over, but how much were they?  I asked a woman working there if she could tell me the price of these two night stands but she said she didn't know.  She told me they were in the middle of unloading a big truck in the rain and didn't have time to price them yet and didn't know when they could get to them.  I told her I was very interested in them but she didn't seem to care (she wasn't in the best mood).  I could sympathize with her it was really nasty out but didn't she know how long I had been searching for them???? 

Ok what do I do?  I could pretend to shop some more while keeping an eye on my nightstands, ready to pounce if anyone goes near them, or I could leave for a little while and give them a chance to do their job.  My mom suggested we go to another store and come back in an hour or so.  She knew I was starting to get anxious and knew me standing around stalking the tables wasn't going to help in fact she said if they know how much I want them they might jack the price up on me.  She had a good point.

We went to another store to try and take my mind off of them but the whole time I was obessing.  I knew they were good solid construction and in pretty good shape so I started to think that maybe they would be out of my price range.  Me and my mom discussed it and we decided I shouldn't pay more than $50 each for them (if they were still there).

Exactly one hour later we headed back to the store.  My mom decided to stay in the car it was still pouring rain outside plus I think she thought I wouldn't end up getting them.  I casually walked back in and headed over to the nightstands but they weren't there!!!  I knew it, I shouldn't have left.  Ok no more being casual I started running around the store.  Whew there they were in the furniture department!  Ok their here but how much are they?  I quickly read the tag $10 each, what!!!  Are you kidding me?  I was so excited I ripped the tag off one of the tables and carried the other one all the way up to the cashier.  The girl behind the counter said "you know you don't have to carry the furniture up here yourself, we have people to help you".  I said that was ok (a little out of breath) but that there was another one in the back if she could get someone to bring it up that would be great. 

Time to get them in my car.  Not knowing today was going to be the day I found my nightstands I was a little unprepared with my small car.  The guy that brought them out to my car was a little unsure that they were going to fit and suggested I come back with a bigger car or truck.  No way, I was going to make them fit, I wasn't taking any chances with leaving them behind.  They fit and I got them home safe and sound in the rain storm that was getting worse. 

When I got home I inspected them a little further and spotted a manufactures
name of Kent Coffey stamped in the drawer.




I looked them up on the internet and found out they were a good furniture company that had been around in the 50's & 60's and that my particular tables were made in the 50's.  I even saw that they were going for about $150 each in a condition not as good as mine.  Wow, what do I do?  If I sold them I could make a nifty little profit but wait what was I thinking I had been searching for nightstands for so long.  Does that mean I would have to wait another 2 or so years for another pair to show up.  No way I can't wait any longer.  I started getting to work on them right away before I could changed my mind.







They were stained but I wanted to paint them white so I got sanding.  Like I said they were in good condition so no repair work was needed just some fresh paint.  The handles on the tables were a very ornate brass.  I thought about changing them but thought if I painted them a cool color they could be fun. 



(not what I had in mind for storage)



I also added some funky drawer liner to freshen them up.






I decided to name them "Sophie" and "Olivia" two of my favorite names because I loved how they turned out.






So after 2 years I now have two matching, well built night stands with good storage
and a fresh pretty look that were definitely worth the wait!











4 comments:

  1. Great color on the hardware - looking forward to more projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the drawers. You kept the elegance of the pieces while funkifying them! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete