Friday, March 16, 2012

Mirror mirror on the wall...


Mirror mirror on the wall...oh the stories you could tell.

My sister's neighbor was getting rid of an old mirror and my sister called to see if I wanted it for
Funk-i-fy.  I said yes of course without even seeing it.  My sister knows my taste and I knew she wouldn't have called me if she didn't think I would like it.  When I saw it in person I loved it, loved the pretty lines and detailed carving it had, very regal.  It looked like it was made to fit on top of a dresser but that didn't bother me because I knew I could find a good home for it.


When I got it back to my shop I started taking it apart.  I was nervous about handling the glass, the mirror looked pretty old and I didn't want anything to happen to it.  When I finially got all the nails out I was able to lift the wood piece that was holding the mirror in place and could see the back of the mirror. On the back of the mirror there was a date stamped on it, June 15,1929.  I was surprised and excited.  I knew it was old but I would never have guessed it was 83 years old!  As I started working on the mirror I started to think about all the mirror had seen in its 83 years.  I imagined little girls looking in the mirror trying on their mommies' clothes and jewelry, young girls trying makeup on for the first time, girls getting ready for their first dance or first date, a young woman looking at herself in her wedding dress on her wedding day.  Perhaps even a young mom holding her baby in the mirror for them to see a first reflection.  A lot happens in 83 years.

 

The mirror was a stained wood when I got it but I knew I wanted to paint it to give it a new life.  I thought about all the girls that might have used it and all the hope in their hearts so I decided a bright pink was in order and its name would be "Hope". 








The mirror got a new life and a new home with another young girl.
Oh the new stories this mirror will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment