Saturday, March 17, 2012

The life of "Riley"....

The life of "Riley" is a story about a discarded mid century desk and chair that I fell for.
I was out hunting for new material one day and I came across this cool desk and chair at least I thought it was cool or could be cool when I got done with it.  It was kind of hidden in the back with a bunch
of junk on the top of it.




After I moved the thigh master off of it I was able to get a better look.  I couldn't find any markings on it but to me it looked mid century.  I had been wanting to do a desk for a while but hadn't found
the right one yet.  I brought it home and starting thinking about what color to paint it. 



The piece was pretty subtle a little different from what I am usually attracted to. 
The biggest detail it had going for it were its modern knobs. 
In order to funk-i-fy it I decided to paint it a bright Kelly green.



The original seat cover on the chair was a black faux leather that didn't look too bad with the
Kelly green but it needed more of a punch something to bring it up to date.  I found this cool fabric
at Ikea which is black & white in a faux wood design and knew that it was the
right amount of funk the chair needed.






I like to name my pieces so with this one it wasn't hard it reminded me of my goddaughter Riley.
Riley is a very stylish young woman who is always in the know of the latest fashion trends
or making new trends herself and I thought the desk and chair came out very stylish.



So that's the life of "Riley" a reinvented mid century desk and chair with a little funk
and great legs with no need for the thigh master anymore!

Linking up with










4 comments:

  1. haha! I noticed that thigh master too!!! Love the color and the whole desk set!!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - great color - no fear there. It will get plenty of comments wherever it resides now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,it was a leap of faith to go with that green but it spoke to me.

      Delete
  3. Loved the color for desk so much. Great turning out for this piece of furniture. We can really give new life to our old things and then can say old is gold. This sort of blog really inspire me to make my old furniture new and I do so. Anyway, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete